Old 31-07-2006, 12:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com George.com is offline

Default How do I get rid of clover?

"FireBrick" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks
That's the info I needed.
I think it's best to attack one weed at a time?????
I'll go after the clover, (maybe not the correct name, but they sure look
like shamrocks).
It is VERY hot right now...high 90's so I will take your advice and wait
till a less stressful time.
I do water my lawns religiously though.

I do spread brand name weed&feed pre-emergents in spring, but these 3 leaf
(clover) are tough little weeds.

Ireland can take them back!

before you do waste the clover like weeds, take several samples of each type
along to a garden centre or lawn outfit and ask them if they can identify
what it is. Clover is not actually a weed as such, as being a undesirable.
It does good work in your garden fixing nitrogen in to the soil and reduces
the amount of fertiliser you use, especially if you use some synthetic crap
that runs off easily and ends up in water ways. I used to spray the buggery
out of my lawn until I learnt the value of clover. I will still dig out
certain types that threaten to take over large patches of lawn but the rest
I simply leave as they are doing me a favour. If it is clover have a long
think about whether repeated sprays of your lawn to eliminate it, all in the
name of a 'perfect lawn', is actually worth it. I learnt to live with it.
Around here a few good frosts knocks it back anyway. If it is a weed you
don't want all you will have lost is a bit of time checking it out.

rob