Old 01-08-2006, 01:13 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default Termite-proofing redgum?

Hi Pat,

There is a product called graniteguard used to deter termites. Apparently
termites hate granite and will avoid it at all costs.

There is a product available from landscaping centres called granite dust,
cracker dust etc etc. Used by paving companies to put Pavers on. It is the
fines and dust left from the blue metal used in making roads. It is cheap to
buy and should do the job.

I would put down a footing that goes beyond the size of your planks/sleepers
and then lay them on top in the centre.

Creosote is another thing used but is messy to deal with and contains a few
nasties. Not so crash hot around veges.

Sold here in WA is a product celled Termimesh. Is a stainless steel mesh
barrier of a certain micron measurement. It stops the termites from entering
because the holes are smaller diameter then the termite is. But is expensive
I would think.

I like the idea of corrugated iron rings as raised beds. Two straight sides
and the ends curved. Only 1.5-2 metres across so you can reach the middle of
the bed comfortably and as long as you like.

Cheers

Richard

"Pat" wrote in message
I want to build some raised veggie beds, and refer to avoid treated pine.

thought redgum "sleepers" might be good (not actual sleepers, but the

planks
about 200mm high by 75mm), but I am a bit concerned about them succumbing

termites. Is there any non-toxic preparation I can treat them with before
putting the soil in?