Old 01-08-2006, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(in Normandy\)[_1_] David \(in Normandy\)[_1_] is offline

Default runner bean flowers just dropping off

How do you freeze them, I tried last year and it was a waste of time, and
freezer space?

Alan

My other half handles this task. She says - Slice and rinse them first, then
blanch in boiling water for three minutes. Then plunge into cold water and
drain. Place in fridge until they are chilled then bag them up and freeze
them on fast-freeze. It is important not to have too many in the pan
blanching in one go or it takes too long for them to get back to the boil,
which spoils the beans. Works for us!

Many years ago, before freezers were very popular, my mother used to dry
them fairly successfully. She used to slice them thin and dry them on sheets
of newspaper placed in the airing cupboard. When bone dry (all shrivelled up
and hard) she stored them in Kilner jars. They kept surprisingly well and
retained more flavour than you'd expect. She used to soak them for an hour
or two before using them, but they never quite expanded back to their
original size. They were quite nice though.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk