Old 02-08-2006, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens,calgary.general
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default Help identifying apple tree

wrote:

I just moved into a house with a couple of apple trees in the yard. The
apples are light greenn, approximately golf ball size, and incredibly sour.
Too sour to eat off of the tree.

Location is Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Any idea what kind of apples these are?

I think the bottom line is that the trees are seedlings that just came
up on their own. Are the trees growing in a location where they were
obviously planted by a human or are they in an odd location along an
edge where they might have come from a tossed apple core or seeds
dropped by an animal?
If they appear to be planted, maybe someone tried growing their own
apples from seed or maybe they were store bought trees that had the tops
damaged and the root stock sprouted up from below.
If you are wanting a variety name, I'm sure there is none. Nobody would
name and sell an apple variety with the qualities you described.

Steve