Old 02-08-2006, 04:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default protecting summer-flowering catts from japanese beetles

Steve Weaver wrote:

Does anyone growing summer flowering cattleyas have to contend with
Japanese Beetles? If so--and especially if you've found effective ways
of discouraging them from turning your flowers into a salad bar--I'd
like to hear from you.....................

Something ate part of a single yellow mini-Catt flower but I'm quite
sure it was a slug. Japanese beetles love my grape vines so much, they
pay no attention to the orchids. Maybe that's you answer; plant grapes
near by.
Seriously though, I just normally bring summer blooming plants indoors
as the buds begin to open. I see the flowers more often indoors and a
few weeks of dim light doesn't seem to harm the plants at all.

Steve