Old 02-08-2006, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bruce Musgrove Bruce Musgrove is offline

Default Repotting help

Steve is correct on that. It is just one long trunk. 4 leaves at the
bottom, a couple of missing leaves and several more larger leaves. The
roots are all coming out righ where each leaf joins the trunk, on both
sides, at 90 degrees to the leaf. As if the root was used to pin the leaf
on.

http://home.comcast.net/~katkom01/orchid/orchid.html for more pictures, even
though the closeup does not reveal much more becasue of the tangel of roots!

"Steve" wrote in message
Susan Erickson wrote:
Steve take a look at this photo. This is the one that convinced me.
I can see a v pattern in the center meeting of the younger leaves..
under the roots, a new life is born.

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Thanks for the explanation, Susan. I am seriously trying to see what you
are describing but I just don't see it. All I can see is a single trunk
with mature leaves only. Four leaves at the bottom with older roots coming
from between them, then the dead leaf, then more leaves farther up with
younger roots just now growing out from between them.
If I'm still missing the obvious, maybe Bruce will take another picture
that shows the offshoot branching off from the original trunk?

Steve
PS I just took yet another look at both of the photos of that plant. The
OTHER picture,
http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/repot2.jpg
I can almost let my mind make me think I'm seeing a 2nd crown with the 4
lower leaves. The 4th leaf from the bottom looks fresh and young and I can
easily imagine a new crown hidden by the roots. Then I look again at the
other picture, that you mentioned, and the illusion is gone. I still see a
single trunk. If that 4th leaf was really the newest leaf on a keiki, why
would there be roots emerging from just below the top (4th) leaf? You are
seeing the bottom 4 leaves as the new plant, right?
Yeah, I've written far more than the situation calls for.