Old 02-08-2006, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] dr-solo@wi.rr.xx.com is offline

Default Regulations on Conifer height ..Can anyone advise please ?

I live in the city. what I see is mostly conifers eating houses and people with huge
old nasty apple trees that drop rotten apples that then ferment calling in all kinds
of wasps and destroying their grass. in the city these kind of trees are stupid.
they DO unreasonably block the sun off neighbors yards. people south of me
thankfully cut down a huge pine tree was eating their house, my fence and arbor and
blocking sun. But they left the apple tree. ugh. the people north of me have a
huge apple shades most of the northern side of the yard which would otherwise be
their "sun" garden and I think they arent happy with my slightly raised bed with
peonies and the fall clematis on the fence (all of 4') because it blocks sun to their
side and one rose on that side (actually, she doesnt know anything about gardening
and does appear to water or properly feed roses). I cut down a lilac on my side
along that border, they cut theirs down and said something to the effect "oh good we
will have sun there" and I told them, no, I was cutting down the lilac so I could
plant a couple dwarf peach trees and group my figs-in-a-bucket there.
and yes, I have tried to give her advice but gardening does not appear to be high on
her list of things to get done. Ingrid

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:
This brings up a related point: trees do get too large, and they do get
old and wonky, and they, or parts of them, do fall down when the storm
gods attack. Who's responsible if a tree or branch on falls and damages
the neighbour's property (house, car, etc)? I believe that Toronto can
demand the removal of an unsafe tree. (The city has a department in
charge of the "urban forest." It s does good work, it seems.)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan