Old 02-08-2006, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] jr.lightfoot@gmail.com is offline

Default Dividing Irises

I agree with Bob but Irises should be split straight after flowering,
also shorten the foliage to 3-4 inches above the Rhizome as this stops
them drying out and allows the roots to get going in the new area you
are planting them in. When replanting them don;t bury the Rihzomes to
deep as the Rhizomes will root off, they like there rhizomes to be
baked. Hope this help you, PS all Irses types like well drained soils.

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Jo" wrote ...
Can anyone advise me how to (successfully) divide an iris clump. Someone
told me I need to just stick the spade down the middle and pull the 2
halves apart, then plant one half elsewhere!
Sounds a bit brutal to me. I'm frightened I might damage the plant.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I presume you mean Tall Bearded Iris?

Sounds about right. Usually in a clump the centre is old and leafless, throw
this away and replant the young fresh outer bits, you can be quite brutal
with them (use a sharp knife) and as long as there is some roots attached to
the plant it should be OK.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden