Old 02-08-2006, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes[_1_] Alan Holmes[_1_] is offline

Default Fence height off ground

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 2/8/06 11:09, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

snip

It wont make any difference how small a hole you start with, it will be
hedgehog size by the end of the night, they are almost as bad as badgers
at
sticking to their established trade routes regardless of obstructions, I
have certainly witnessed a hedgehog scaling a standard fence panel, the
racket was unbelievable! and our present resident has been getting quite
grumpy with us for sitting out into the evening, sort of sits in the
shadows
and grunts at us till we go in.

Lovely. We get them here sometimes and always know when because the dogs
stand there and do this sort of monotonous bark which is definitely their
'hedgehog noise'.

Anyway aren't Jack Russels the Houdini's of the dog world?

Yes they certainly are but this one really is very small so we don't want
assist him by actually providing an exit!

How about just leaving a small gap, loosen the earth beneath it and let the
hedgehogs dig a way through, as it wil be just enough for the hedgehog and
slightly beneath the ground, it just might be too small for the dog to get
through.

Alan

--
Sacha