Old 02-08-2006, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Dividing Irises

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 23:29:56 +0100, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Jo" wrote ...
Can anyone advise me how to (successfully) divide an iris clump. Someone
told me I need to just stick the spade down the middle and pull the 2
halves apart, then plant one half elsewhere!
Sounds a bit brutal to me. I'm frightened I might damage the plant.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I presume you mean Tall Bearded Iris?

Sounds about right. Usually in a clump the centre is old and leafless, throw
this away and replant the young fresh outer bits, you can be quite brutal
with them (use a sharp knife) and as long as there is some roots attached to
the plant it should be OK.

I did exactly this last year based on what I'd seen on the telly. I also
trimmed the leaves right down. I had no confidence that I had done it
right but I had the best show of irises this year that there's ever been
in the garden. If I can do it then anyone can.
--
Paul C