Old 03-08-2006, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bob Walsh[_1_] Bob Walsh[_1_] is offline

Default protecting summer-flowering catts from japanese beetles

Steve,

The soap probably only works when sprayed directly on the beetles. For a
repellant you might try Hot Pepper Wax, testing on a single bud/blossom
first.

You could also try something systemic like imidacloprid, found in some
"Bayer" products. Of course a meal of your blossoms would precede the
timely, but too late, death of the beetles.

The best suggestion though is Steve's. Bring them inside.

Bob

"Steve" wrote in message
Steve Weaver wrote:

Does anyone growing summer flowering cattleyas have to contend with
Japanese Beetles? If so--and especially if you've found effective ways
of discouraging them from turning your flowers into a salad bar--I'd
like to hear from you.....................

Something ate part of a single yellow mini-Catt flower but I'm quite sure
it was a slug. Japanese beetles love my grape vines so much, they pay no
attention to the orchids. Maybe that's you answer; plant grapes near by.
Seriously though, I just normally bring summer blooming plants indoors as
the buds begin to open. I see the flowers more often indoors and a few
weeks of dim light doesn't seem to harm the plants at all.

Steve