Old 03-08-2006, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle Penelope Periwinkle is offline

Default who's eating my dill?

On 2 Aug 2006 18:49:10 -0700, wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
"My guess would be baby swallowtail butterflies. :-)"

http://www.earthfuture.com/gardenpat...il%20larva.jpg

I, too have seen the larva on my dill and parsley. Easy to control by
hand-picking.

No!

Plant a little extra fennel and give a butterfly a break! Black
swallowtail caterpillars don't do as much damage as a tomato hornworm,
and they're such lovely butterflies. We just had about 20 black
swallowtail caterpillars over at my mother's house, and even with that
high a number on one fennel plant, they only stripped one large stalk.

And we know where 3 of the chrysalides are, and are watching for their
emergence. It's so exciting! My mother and I actually saw the
butterfly lay the eggs on the fennel.

Penelope
- "pointed"