Old 19-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Ian B

Default Advice please Leylandii hedge

Thanks
Gloves r on and ready....
Yew hedging,,, how fast does it grow?
Pardon my ignorance,,, YEW , is it evergreen?
thanks for advice,,, perhaps you've saved me from the Leylandi haters??

ian

Best advice is to duck and wear asbestos gloves when reading most of the
replies to this question!

Seriously though, Leylandii is a plant that has its place and uses - but
screening a neighbour's garden is not one of them!

I always recommend Yew hedging. You don't mention any sort of budget - Yew
is available at all sorts of sizes from a few inches to 2-3m to give an
instant hedge. If you want prices: Do not go to a landscaper or a Garden
centre, but find a local trade nursery. For cash they will be more than
happy to supply enough hedging plants for a 50 ft hedge as that is a trade
quantity - price will be around 50% of garden centre price. If you need to
hire a local jobbing Gardner for the day to put them in.

pk