Old 03-08-2006, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_2_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_2_] is offline

Default who's eating my dill?

In article ,
"tuckermo" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
"My guess would be baby swallowtail butterflies. :-)"

http://www.earthfuture.com/gardenpat...il%20larva.jpg

I, too have seen the larva on my dill and parsley. Easy to control by
hand-picking.

Those larvae are so beautiful, I would never pick them off! If you tap them
gently on the head, their orange sense organ will shoot out like a
tongue--it's fun to tell children you've trained them to do this.

I did pick them off of my dill as I did not have that much...

but I did it gently and moved them to the parsley (since I had plenty
and did not have much use for it) and the fennel on the end of the herb
garden as I have _no_ use for fennel. G The fennel was planted
entirely for the baby swallowtails. It seems to last them longer.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson