Old 03-08-2006, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dave Dave is offline

Default Deer fence

AndyS wrote:
Dave wrote:
Ok, the deer are eating my okra and any tomato that gets pink. I guess
I need to do something. I've read that a 4 ft fence with some added
arms for and electric wire will work for deer. Anyone know of a good
description of this setup including how to make the arms? Thanks.

Andy writes:
I read this on another newsgroup and am posting it here as it seems
like a good idea. The OP had deer in a community garden and wanted
to know how to stop it. One of the replies was from a fellow that had
either been told to do this:, or had tried it himself....

Put up an electric fence, single strand. Every 15 feet or so, hang
a strip of tin foil. Coat the tin foil with peanut butter......

The deer smell the peanut butter, try to eat it, and get zapped on
their ass. They then avoid the fence like the plague. It doesn't hurt them
in any permanent way, but the fence may have to be fixed occasionally
since the first time the deer try it they jump really high and may fall on
the wire...[...]

I wonder if I could just temporarily run a wire nose-high around my
okra and tomatoes?