Old 03-08-2006, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam sam is offline

Default Dividing Irises

Jo wrote:
Can anyone advise me how to (successfully) divide an iris clump. Someone
told me I need to just stick the spade down the middle and pull the 2 halves
apart, then plant one half elsewhere!
Sounds a bit brutal to me. I'm frightened I might damage the plant.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jo

That's what I did this morning, Jo. Then brush off the earth and pull
the young growth
from the old stuff (which should be composted),cut the leaves on the
slant from about 3to 6".
and plant shallow. Water in.
I've had my irises many years and they always give a good show,