Old 03-08-2006, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(in Normandy\)[_1_] David \(in Normandy\)[_1_] is offline

Default What to grow in a chicken garden/run?

I'm not sure if this is quite on/off topic for here, but someone mentioning
hens having a liking for 'Cleavers' in another thread prompted me to ask.
I plan to keep a few (4) free range chickens next year. Just enough to
provide eggs for the two of us. They will have around 1/4 acre to themselves
that they can roam and scratch about in. It has finally been cleared of the
impenetrable jungle of brambles and bindweed that occupied the land and is
now cultivated, weed free bare earth and ready for planting up with
"something?".

I'd like to plant and establish things there now that chickens would like
to eat? I've not kept chickens before and the books I've read about the
subject are a bit vague about the plants to grow. I could just plant grass
(what variety?) but think perhaps an assortment of various "weeds" or other
plants should be encouraged too for a balanced diet. Perhaps also plants
that attract insects that the chickens can eat too. Any suggestions anyone?
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk