Old 03-08-2006, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default wood pidgeon life span

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| | What's wrong with woodpigeons in gardens, anyway?
|
| In moderation, nothing. The problem is that they don't have appropriate
| predation pressure in the UK.
|
| Except by man. I eat a lot of wood pigeon :-)

With the suburbanisation of the south-east and midlands, there isn't
enough of that to be called "appropriate predation pressure" any longer.
This is precisely why we have a deer crisis, after centuries of deer
being almost endangered in the lowlands of the UK, with no reduction
whatsoever in their 'natural' predators (there being none).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679