Old 03-08-2006, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Earth v Dirt

In article ,
Gary Woods writes:

| Arguing definitions is a fool's game, best played after liberal doses of
| your favorite beverage.
| Mine involves dark-roasted malted barley.
| Your mileage may vary.

As the editors of the OED have maintained since its inception, despite
political pressure from dogmatic academics and polemicists, the English
language is defined by its users. I am happy to argue definitions with
anyone who wants to compete with me on pedantry, but am always prepared
to admit that they are entirely context-dependent.

And, in the ultimate analysis, one can always fall back on the Humpty-
Dumpty defence.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.