Old 04-08-2006, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Agave[_1_] Agave[_1_] is offline

Default Regulations on Conifer height ..Can anyone advise please ?

Simmo wrote:
Hi all,

I,m seeking advice concerning the height of my conifers, A guy has just
moved into a house at the end of my garden and has asked me if I will
crop my trees to a more reasonable height, I am more than willing to do
so but don,t want to lose the privacy that I currently enjoy, The trees
are maybe 13ft - 14ft high at the moment and I could take them to maybe
9ft without too much problem, I am just wondering if the guy is within
his rights to force me to taking them to the 2 metre point by law if he
is not happy with the height I lower them to ? The trees are maybe 35
feet from his house and only 2 of them are across the end of his
garden, his garden is open at both sides and so my trees are not
preventing any natural light. The only complaint I can see him having
is that he doesn,t get as much sunshine in the afternoon but thats
'sunshine' and not 'natural light'. He seems to be a decent enough guy
so hopefully there will be no problem but I just need to know where I
stand just in case..

Thanks very much

Dave

Cropping for height (or topping) trees is generally a really bad idea
for the tree. Google "topping trees" for lots of references, or just
see this one http://www.arborday.org/trees/NineNum1.cfm

In the long run, it would be better to remove them and replace them with
a more suitable tree for the area.