Old 04-08-2006, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default wood pidgeon life span

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"BAC" writes:
| "Malcolm" wrote in message
|
| But that doesn't seem to agree with Nick's suggestion that an

increase
| in population would lead to an increase in mortality and a reduction

in
| life expectancy which would bring the population back down again.
|
| No, it doesn't, but I don't think Nick is the only person to think what

he
| thinks about the subject.

Ogilvie has misquoted again, too. Me, certainly, and probably Murton.

You mean Dr O appears to have misunderstood what you wrote?

I never said or implied that a reduction in their life expectancy would
result in a reduction in their population. Assuming that the latter
follows automatically from the former shows a severe misunderstanding
of population dynamics. Few ecologists will make that mistake.

Not without precisely defining all the other variables, certainly.

| What's wrong with woodpigeons in gardens, anyway?

In moderation, nothing. The problem is that they don't have appropriate
predation pressure in the UK.

Not enough grey squirrels in those wood pigeon's woods, then :-)