Old 04-08-2006, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Cleavers

"jane" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 23:11:37 +0100, Sacha wrote:

~On 3/8/06 21:39, in article ,
~"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote:
~
~
~ "Sacha" wrote in message
~ ...
~ Can someone please tell me the proper name for the plant variously
known
~ as
~ Cleavers, Goose Grass, Stick Willie, etc?
~ --
~ Sacha
~
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
~ South Devon
~ (email address on website)~
~ ~~~~~~~~~~~#
~ We always called it ' sweethearts'~~~ probably due to it clinging
etc.
~ Seemed a nice name. Can be a nuisance in the Border Collie's hair!!
~
~I like 'Sweethearts" and haven't heard it before. But I did spend about
45
~mins pullling the burrs out of our wire haired Jack Russell's coat a
couple
~of days ago. He was smothered in the things. I think we have to admit
this
~plant has seed distribution cracked!

I grew up in Derbyshire, knowing them as sticky buds

jane

Chiltern Hills, 140m above sea level.

As a kid we used to chuck the big burs of something around and we called
those sticky buds. Tried a Google to find out the name but was offered info
on mind expanding legal drugs.