Old 04-08-2006, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Cornelian Cherry (cornus mas)

I bought a 3' bare-root tree this spring, and it has just now really
started growing. It has probably been growing roots all this time,
because it didn't have many when I bought it. The most vigorous growth
is near the bottom. It has little branches coming out all over the
trunk. I want this to be a small specimen tree, not a shrub, but
multi-trunked like an river birch might be nice. I definitely want it
open at the bottom and not all twiggy.

Do I need to leave all these new twigs for now and then start trimming
it next year? I'm hesitant to remove any leaves this late in the
season. I'm in the southern part of zone 4, which is pretty far north
for this tree.

If I let it grow 2 or 3 trunks, will these be from suckers that come up
from the ground next year, or this year's new twigs that are right at
the ground level?

Thanks, regards,
Bob