Old 04-08-2006, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1 simy1 is offline

Default Deer fence

William L. Rose wrote:

Just my 2¢, but I hope your ready for the dead birds. The voltage (It's
really the amperage you need to be concerned with.) that will put bambi
on his butt is gonna' fry "tweety bird" and friends (four and two
legged) that come into contact with it. You may be down with the
collateral damage but passer-bys, neighbors, grand kids, ect., may see
you in a whole, brand new light. Birds also help clean up insects in the
garden, so think about unintended consequences.

Never seen a dead bird there, and the amperage is not enough to kill a
squirrel. I have seen them touch the wire and scream bloody murder, but
scamper up a tree alive. I have also seen a deer touch it, and jump
several feet in the air before flying (and taking the whole herd with
it).