Old 04-08-2006, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle Penelope Periwinkle is offline

Default Deer fence

On 3 Aug 2006 12:58:41 -0700, "Dave" wrote:

I wonder if I could just temporarily run a wire nose-high around my
okra and tomatoes?

Put out strong smelling deodorant soap for temporary protection. You
can either hang the bar of soap around vulnerable plants, or take a
potato peeler and whittle off slices all over the garden.

How effective it is depends on how desperate the deer are, but we've
found it works pretty well at keeping the deer away from my mom's
flowers in the summer. It didn't work so well around the ornamental
cabbage in the winter.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"