Old 04-08-2006, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Köi-Lö[_1_] Köi-Lö[_1_] is offline

Default Diatom filters

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is anyone out there using a Diatom (like a Vortex D-1) filter in a
planted
tank??? Is it safe to keep a filter like this in place continuously?

I have planted tanks and use the Vortex after every water change. They're
not meant for continuos use. Make sure you read the insert and keep it
oiled.

There's a recurring problem with "green/cloudy" water.. The UV
sterilizer isn't fixing it, and the only thing that works is a few
hours
with a rented Vortex Diatom D-1 with Super-Char...

All I use is the plain white diatom powder from Home Depot. It leaves the
water crystal clear.

I wouldn't mind purchasing one, but want to know what others thought
about
continual use in a planted tank..

Would it not be better to find the cause of the green water? Too many
nutrients perhaps?
--
KL....
Aquariums since 1952.