Old 04-08-2006, 09:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby Stubby is offline

Default How to fix lawn

Guitarist511 wrote:
Since it is Aug already and hot here in NJ, what can I do now to stop
the weeds and crab grass. I did the Scotts steps but seem to have had
some bad luck this year. My front is about 5% crab grass and the back
is about 50/50 with grass to weeds. Also, when is the correct time to
overseed and can I get the back yard back into shape over the next
couple of years by overseeding?

Use liquid crabgrass killer now to kill the plants before they drop
their seeds. Then use pre-emergent crabgrass preventer in the spring
(March).

Water, water, water. Strengthen your lawn and it will crowd out the
crabgrass and weeds.

Over seed in the spring and fall will help. But keep it wet so the the
sprouts don't die. But if it is a really wet spring or fall, you might
risk the seed rotting.