Old 05-08-2006, 12:13 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Kira Dirlik Kira Dirlik is offline

Default Help, figs fall when near-ripe

Hmmm. Was answering and it went into cyberspace. Apparently 22
"stuck" messages in Usenet from past 6 years have also gone out in my
attempts to retrieve. Eeeek.... who knows what they are and where
they are going!?
Anyway, as I was saying. my small figs in Durham were growing in
yard when house was purchased, so don't know specie. My current fig,
in Chatham, was bought at ACE Hardware on Guess Rd. in Durham (now
apparently defunct) and it was not labeled but they said it was Brown
Turkey. There are so many types, so who knows?
I'd love to try more, but this one tree gives more than I can use.
Deer enjoy from lower branches, and when I use all I can, I just pick
from the higher and make piles for the deer. They only discovered
last year that they like them. I think they thought they were
buckeyes.

Suggestion: Talking about carmelized figs and calfoutis.... how
about some fig recipes? I tend to make only jam, or eat them fresh
off the tree.
Cheers,
Kira