Old 04-08-2006, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default pear trees

wrote:
On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 21:23:29 +0000 (UTC),
(Jim
Jackson) wrote:

Or it could be pear midge - they infect the fruitlets, which go black and
fall off. If you inspect the damaged fruitlets you may find the grubs
inside, or find the egress holes of the midge.

Also pears do a take a while to get upto speed, cropping wise.
Conference is supposed to be self fertile, but in my experience it does
a lot better with a cross pollinator.

They certainly go black ad fall off but I've never really had a good
look at them once they do. What would you use as a pollinator, another
conference, or a different variety? Thanks.

It has to be a different variety. I have a couple of old unnamed trees,
concorde and Williams as well as the conference.