Old 04-08-2006, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

"p. pleater" typed

This is all very interesting and I'm pleased to be learning something
from more knowledgeable people than I. But I don't understand why in the
last 55 years I have been given 4 tetanus jabs, the first in the RAF and
the last one 2 days ago for a broken and lacerated finger mashed up
uprooting a tree.
The local A+E doctor, an experienced mature bloke, gave me a right
ticking off for not having had a booster in the last 17 years !!!
Hey, who am I to disagree.

I've come to this thread rather late and missed the OP.

The current thinking is that 5 injections of tetanus toxoid gives
lifelong immunity. Boosters are recommended for tetanus-prone wounds and
possibly for travel in areas where getting a booster may be difficult in
the event of injury.

Personally, I have had more than five injections of toxoid, but the last
was in 1988.

I arranged to have a booster prior to my trip to Libya earlier this
year, but the surgery had none in stock on the day I came for my
booster.

I see no reason to arrange to have one now.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.