Old 05-08-2006, 04:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sir Topham Hatt Sir Topham Hatt is offline

Default Pines are dying

I have a bunch of Eastern White Pines on my property which also sits on a high
water table. I have no issues with my pines. Matter of fact they are growing a
little be too much for my liking. I took extra precaution when planting. They
were planted high. My guess is that your pines were planted too low. Can you
see the trunk flare? Even if you can see it, if they are sitting on a high
water table, they chould of been mound planted.
wrote:

Hello,

I bought a house that has 20 white pines planted in the backyard to
provide a privacy shield for the neighbors. The problem is that pines
are dying one by one -- the needles become yellow and then the whole
pine dries up.

I talked to some people and they told me that this is because there is
too much water in the back of my yard. I tried to fix the water
problem, but the pines keep dying. So, I was wondering if you could
help me with some of the questions I have:

1. Is that a fact that pines don't like water? Could that be the
reverse -- there is not enough water or yellow needles is a clear
indication of a water problem?

2. Assuming there is too much water, is there a water resistant
evergreen that I can plant instead of white pines? Are all pines the
same, or some of them are more resilient to water problem?

3. I was wondering about Green Giants -- are they more resilient than
pines?

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Evgueni