Old 05-08-2006, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna J Fortuna is offline

Default How and when to repot my Phal

J. Del,

While I agree that it is not rocket science, but it can be quite
intimidating, repotting for the first time, if one has never done it before
and never seen anyone else do it. Also while it can be as easy as you
describe, it is quite possible to kill a Phal by repotting incorrectly, at
least that was my experience -- maybe I have a special talent for repotting
incorrectly ;-) but I don't think that it is just me.

The ways to kill a Phal by repotting incorrectly include -- but are probably
not limited to: (a) stuffing up the drainage holes with medium (especially
moss without the use of styrofoam peanuts); (b) cramming in too much medium
into the pot and thus limiting air flow to the roots; (c) choosing a pot
that is too big for the root ball -- especially if the roots were not
healthy and one had to remove most of them but then choosing a larger pot
anyway (a mistake often made by newbies, I believe); (d) buying a medium
that is bark-based if one only knows how to tell when to water the Phal in
moss in one's limited experience thus far (if one's first Phal was
originally in moss), and then overwatering the newly repotted orchid,
thinking that the bark is dry when in fact it is not nearly so.

Yes, I agree that orchids are a lot tougher than most people give them
credit for, and as a newbie I even posted a question to rgo enquiring how
people manage to kill orchids since no matter what I did wrong my orchids
survived and even thrived. BUT now I know that it is indeed not impossible
to kill orchids, and repotting if incorrectly done, in my experience, is an
excellent way of getting one closer to the goal of being an experienced
orchid grower -- defined as one who has killed his or her weight in orchids.

Joanna

wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I suppose I can bring it back to the nursery where it was purchased.

Why do that? Repotting orchids is no big deal. Buy a bag of
Phalenopsis mix at Lowe's or Home Depot and get to work when it's time.
Trim any obviously dead roots.(healthy roots are silvery and/or green)
Make sure the plant's crown is above the mix and fill in the gaps.
Water it well and forget about it for another year or two. It isn't
rocket science.

Most orchids are a lot tougher than most people assume them to be.

J. Del Col