Old 05-08-2006, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_2_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_2_] is offline

Default Deer fence

In article om,
"Dave" wrote:

William L. Rose wrote:
"simy1" wrote:
Dave wrote:

I wonder if I could just temporarily run a wire nose-high around my
okra and tomatoes?

The system at a farm supply store is the wire, plus either small posts
or brackets tat you can attach to a chain link. It also has a
transformer, delivering a painful but not deadly jolt that a live wire
may deliver. It cost $19.99 for me.

Just my 2¢, but I hope your ready for the dead birds. The voltage (It's
really the amperage you need to be concerned with.) that will put bambi
on his butt is gonna' fry "tweety bird" and friends (four and two
legged) that come into contact with it. [...]

Well, I have heard of hummingbirds being killed on fences that have
colored insulators. The trick is to try to keep the hot wire more than
a bird's length away from any other wire and use plain black or white
insulators. A length of PVC pipe can also be slipped over posts. Some
fence chargers provide a lot more zap than others.

I used PVC pipe for poles.

No insulators were needed.
--
Peace!