Old 05-08-2006, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default wood pidgeon life span

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:
| "Alan Holmes" wrote in message
|
| What's wrong with woodpigeons in gardens, anyway?
|
| The mess and the reduction of other wildlife.
|
| Woodpigeons don't reduce other wildlife. They don't predate on any bird,
| insect, amphibion or mammal. In my experience they don't cause any mess
| either.

Predation is not the only way in which one vertebrate species can reduce
others. As I posted, there is a speculation that the increase in either
or both of them and collared doves is a factor in the reduction of sparrows.

But, overall in the UK, I agree that they are probably more of a nuisance
to humans than harmful to any other species. They cause some mess in my
garden, but nothing to get excited about.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.