Old 05-08-2006, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Sunny herb garden

On 5/8/06 11:28, in article , "Adam"
wrote:

Hi Everyone

One of the first tasks I want to do in my new garden is to plant a herb
garden somewhere fairly close to the house. There are various places I could
choose, which get varying amounts of sun. None gets sun all day, but some
places get sun for most of the day. Others just get it for a couple of
hours.

I'm mostly going to be planting fairly traditional herbs: parsley, sage,
rosemary, thyme (isn't there a song in there somewhere?), chives, that sort
of thing. Maybe some more unusual ones as well (I'm open to suggestions!)

How much does it matter how much sun they get? Should I go for maximum sun,
or is a couple of hours in the middle of the day enough? The most convenient
places for planting don't get very much sun.

It seems to be a bit of a mixture. The woodier herbs like rosemary etc.
like quite a lot of sun and good drainage but some of the annual ones will
tolerate shade, but not a lot. It sounds as if you could do some mixed
planting to achieve what you want. You could, for example, plant rosemary
or lavender as a low hedge somewhere, as long as it drains well.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk