Old 05-08-2006, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Sunny herb garden

In article ,
"Adam" writes:

| One of the first tasks I want to do in my new garden is to plant a herb
| garden somewhere fairly close to the house. There are various places I could
| choose, which get varying amounts of sun. None gets sun all day, but some
| places get sun for most of the day. Others just get it for a couple of
| hours.

Most herbs grown in the UK fall into one of three classes:

The Mediterranean labiates and similar (thyme, rosemary, sage, winter
savory, bay etc.) These like good drainage and as much sun as they
can get. Most will not thrive with very little direct sun. They can
take drought, and may be best grown in pots in clay soils.

The northern umbellifers and similar (parsley, lovage, chives etc.)
These don't need any sun, if the location is light enough, and need
fairly damp conditions. They don't thrive in hot, dry conditions.

The humid tropicals (basil, coriander, dill(!) etc.) These need constant
warmth and fairly damp conditions. Dill isn't really a tropical, but is
pretty tricky to grow in cold OR dry conditions, just like basil and
coriander.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.