Old 05-08-2006, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed Matthew Reed is offline

Default Wasp problem

The black/white wasps are probably bald-faced hornets aka White-faced
hornets. They are close relative of the yellow jacket, are agressive, will
sting. They build paper nests, and are extremely protective of their nests.
Be carefull with them. Try to find the nest, and carefully destroy it. Good
luck, though, they can travel 1000 feet from the nest, maybe more, and if
you live in a dense area you will have difficulty finding the nest.

I'd do what you are doing, and trap them. My yellow jacket traps have
hundreds of bees in them - where to they all come from?

"sherwindu" wrote in message
Since my Redhaven Peaches have started to ripen, the black with white
stripe
wasps
have appeared and are decimating the fruit. My current defense is to
clean up
all fallen and attacked fruit and hang out wasp traps, which are filling
up
pretty fast. Any ideas as to how to stop this invasion? I have not
spotted
their nest yet. I prefer to leave the peaches on the tree as long as
possible
to enhance flavor. Perhaps I have to start picking them when they are not
fully
ripe.

Sherwin D.