Old 05-08-2006, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Ranger[_1_] The Ranger[_1_] is offline

Default Deer fence

Frank wrote in message
oups.com...
All this balloney about birds. How about children and pets?
Personally, I've been zapped crossing electric cattle fences while
hunting and shock was very mild. Probably just enough to discourage
the animals but otherwise harmless. Electric fences, tall fences or
netting are the only sure remedies to keep deer away from plants.

I don't understand your logic then. You warn against kids and pets yet
give a testimonial of only receiving a mild shock when crossing cattle
fences. If it's otherwise harmless that would carry over to kids and
pets, too, unless there was a medical reason (pace maker) directly
involved.

Growing up on and around ranches in the '60s and '70s, and testing my
grandpa's electrical knowledge just a few times, the current used to
discourage the cattle (and coyotes) was non-fatal. I can't see anyone
increasing the power just to get roasted pigeons or BBQ finch.

The Ranger