Old 05-08-2006, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Sunny herb garden

"Adam" wrote in message
Hi Everyone

One of the first tasks I want to do in my new garden is to plant a herb
garden somewhere fairly close to the house. There are various places I
could choose, which get varying amounts of sun. None gets sun all day, but
some places get sun for most of the day. Others just get it for a couple
of hours.

I'm mostly going to be planting fairly traditional herbs: parsley, sage,
rosemary, thyme (isn't there a song in there somewhere?), chives, that
sort of thing. Maybe some more unusual ones as well (I'm open to
suggestions!)

How much does it matter how much sun they get? Should I go for maximum
sun, or is a couple of hours in the middle of the day enough? The most
convenient places for planting don't get very much sun.

Many thanks

Adam

Only marjoram, thyme, rosemary and mint live in permanent beds here.
Everything else is in pots, even a miniature bay, which are moved around
according to conditions. Basil is restricted to the kitchen and bathroom.

Mary