Old 05-08-2006, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga Diana Kulaga is offline

Default Orchids R in season....or not!

Hmm. A bit of hallucination might do the trick! The only changes we've made
in our cultural habits is to repot in a more timely manner, and do some more
fertilizing than we used to do, which was needed. Light levels have not
changed, nor has watering. No new chemicals have been introduced. I will say
this: although we have not lost any tree canopy, and our screening is
exactly the same, I am seeing lighter leaves on many plants. [If anything,
our fruit trees are providing more shade than ever.] Temperatures here are
no different than in prior summers, but it seems that somehow the plants are
getting brighter light. I had a Rhy. gigantea go almost white overnight a
few months ago. It had lived in that spot for three years.

I guess what I'm wondering is if the blooming habits of some plants could be
permanently altered by the stress they underwent.

What else would explain out of season blooming? Another example: Angraecum
magdelainae has bloomed three times this year, including in February and
March. It has buds coming now, too, though this is an okay season for it.

Not trying to be difficult here. I am not a scientist as some here are. I am
genuinely curious.

Diana (No, I don't do LSD!!)