Old 06-08-2006, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Wasp problem

Matthew Reed wrote:

The black/white wasps are probably bald-faced hornets aka White-faced
hornets. They are close relative of the yellow jacket, are agressive, will
sting. They build paper nests, and are extremely protective of their nests.
Be carefull with them. Try to find the nest, and carefully destroy it. Good
luck, though, they can travel 1000 feet from the nest, maybe more, and if
you live in a dense area you will have difficulty finding the nest.

No sign of a nest yet, but I'm having an effect on the population as there
are
less and less wasps appearing in my traps, even though I still have peaches
on my tree. I also think the ziploc sandwich bags I put over the peaches is
acting as a deterent, as well.

I'd do what you are doing, and trap them. My yellow jacket traps have
hundreds of bees in them - where to they all come from?

Are these bees attacking your fruit? If not, why kill them as they make
useful
pollinators for next year's crop? Problem here in the Midwest is that the
bees
did not appear until late in the Spring, so they were ineffective for
pollination
purposes. I don't see them even now in my wasp traps, just wasps, flies and
moths. Perhaps the bees are not attracted to apple juice, or are smart
enough
not to enter the traps.

Sherwin D.