Old 06-08-2006, 04:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Ledford Jim Ledford is offline

Default How to fix lawn

wrote:

Steveo wrote:
wrote:
Generally, one application of fertilizer plus pre-emergent control in
Spring is all you want till Sept.

Where do you find a lawn food that gives you seven months of nutrition?

It's not 7 months from mid April to early Sept. And in summer, cool
season grasses do not want to be agressively growing. While extra
nitrogen in summer will make the lawn greener, it also makes it a lot
more vulnerable to disease and fungus. IMO, for the typical lawn, the
tradeoff is not worth it. You could put down another application in
late May, but I definitely would not be applying fertilizer in mid
summer.

Iron - required for the formation of chlorophyll in plant cells.
Iron deficiency can be common in alkaline soils, resulting in
chlorosis, the yellowing of leaves

chlorophyll
1: the green photosynthetic pigment found chiefly in the chloroplasts
of plants and occurring esp. as a blue-black ester C55H72MgN4O5 or a
dark green ester C55H70MgN4O6 — called also respectively chlorophyll
a, chlorophyll

http://www.ironite.com/index.html

want a dark green lush fescue lawn during the dog days of HOT summer?

yes! then read and learn about ironite. the information is on their webpage

http://www.ironite.com/about_ironite.htm

ironite is the reason people sign up on a waiting list to become one of
my customers. I tell them, if a current customer dies or moves away I'll
call you and let you know how that event moved you up on the list.

so there's the secret and it's called Ironite.

as a guide for central North Carolina
apply 16-4-8 in mid March at the rate of 20 lbs/3000 sq. ft.
then starting in late May apply between one to one and one half
pounds per one hundred square feet every 45 to 50 days of Ironite
to maintain that dark rich green color people are willing to pay
large for and stand in line quietly to obtain. then go back to
the 20 lbs 16-4-8 around late October or after your daytime high
temps are going to remain for the most part below 78F.

http://www.pattenseed.com/info-guide-fescue.html
see their summer fertilizer recommendation.
notice how the chart on their page keeps saying PLUS IRON
now you know where to get the IRON.