Old 06-08-2006, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default 'Woody tasting' eating apples

Hi,

in our gravel 'n dust back garden here in the Kennet Valley we have tow
eating apple trees (variety unknown).

They have been neglected over the last few years and are overgrown but
they are both cropping heavily.

The bright red one (Worcester Permian?) has a huge crop and has been
dropping apples for ages.

http://gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_... _permain.htm

Although the apple looks redder than the pictures, more like

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/devonshire.jpg

The apples seem ripe in many ways - good red colour and of course they are
dropping.

However, if gently twisted they refuse to come off in the hand, which
suggests they may not all be ready for picking.

The main issue is the taste; the ones we sampled are sweet and quite juicy
but the underlying texture is between wood chip and blotting paper - much
like under-ripe apples.

The description of the Worcester Permian says 'on the dry side' and
recommends leaving on the tree to ripen.

However the apples are throwing themselves at the floor (which can be
quite disconcerting when sitting out on these warm summer nights - "Rustle
rustle THUD" from the darkness ;-)

Has anyone experience of this type of apple?

Should then be picked and stored to give them time to mature?

It seems sad to have a huge crop of shiny, sweet red apples which are
basically inedible because there is only so much blotting paper I can chew
before I start to wonder why I am doing it.

I also don't want to waste a lot of effort picking and storing them if
they are going to turn out old and woody instead of fresh and woody.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Dave R

[Unfortunately I don't have the time this year to make wine or cider or
apple jelly]