Old 06-08-2006, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Sunny herb garden

On 6/8/06 10:34, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes:
| On 5/8/06 21:56, in article , "tresco"
| wrote:
|
| Also try lemon
| verbena (NOT lemon balm, which is a terrible coarse weed) which has the
| most gorgeous lemon scent. Grow it in a pot, and don't be dismayed if it
| appears dead in spring, it takes a long time to leaf up.
|
| This is known as Aloysia triphylla but used to be Lippia citrodora. It can
| succumb to frosts, so might need some protection in colder areas. ...

It's definitely tender, and won't do at all in colder areas. It needs
some protection except in the warmest areas, unless there is a hardy
variety I have not seen.

The OP lives in Buckinghamshire, I believe. I wonder if she gives it winter
protection. However, it went through last winter with us which went to -5
or -6 on more than one occasion. OTOH, I once lost it in a Jersey garden
where it was in a very open position. I think the actual situation in the
garden must count for a good deal and the protection of e.g. a house or
courtyard wall would probably make a small but significant difference.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk