Old 06-08-2006, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Sunny herb garden

In article , Sacha writes:

| | This is known as Aloysia triphylla but used to be Lippia citrodora. It can
| | succumb to frosts, so might need some protection in colder areas. ...
|
| It's definitely tender, and won't do at all in colder areas. It needs
| some protection except in the warmest areas, unless there is a hardy
| variety I have not seen.
|
| The OP lives in Buckinghamshire, I believe. I wonder if she gives it winter
| protection. However, it went through last winter with us which went to -5
| or -6 on more than one occasion. OTOH, I once lost it in a Jersey garden
| where it was in a very open position. I think the actual situation in the
| garden must count for a good deal and the protection of e.g. a house or
| courtyard wall would probably make a small but significant difference.

Bean says that it is OK in the very warmest parts (e.g. IOW, Cornwall,
Channel Islands) with no protection, but needs protection near London.

Buckinghamshire and Cambridge are a lot colder than London - the soil
freezes (shallowly and briefly) most years, nights of -5 Celcius are
normal, and there are occasional nights of below -10 Celcius, even in
the recent mild winters. And it gets even colder oop north. He/she
may well keep it in a cold greenhouse over the winter - pots are much
easier to protect than the open ground.

Last winter was weird - there was one spell of below -10 Celcius, but
nothing else of note (i.e. not even reaching -5 Celcius).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.