Old 06-08-2006, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Winemaking

JennyC wrote:
"louisxiv" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good recipe/website/book which will help me create
wine from the elderberries, currants (blue ones from a ribes shrub) and
brambles growing in my garden?

[...]
here's a couple of sites with recipes etc:
http://www.homemadewine.net/
http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/

One of those sites is American, and the other doesn't seem, at a
glance, to give recipes. Maybe I didn't look closely enough.

I did a very quick Ggl on wine recipes, and there are so many that
it's confusing. From those which came up, I picked these two almost at
random:
http://www.btinternet.com/~g.dodge/page6.html
(This one should open at a blackberry recipe, and I see it also lists
one for blackcurrants. A tip: add some preservative-free grape juice to
any recipe for improved quality.)

http://www.harvington.org.uk/hic/winerecipes.html
may also interest you.

There's a great book, which is probably out of print: W.H.T.Tayleur,
The Penguin Book of Home Brewing and Wine-Making. If you can get a copy
somewhere, it'll tell you everything you'll ever need to know and a lot
more. You may find his style a bit rambling, and the index is strange;
but it was my dependable companion for the years I was brewing all the
time.

A further Ggl will certainly find online winemaking discussion groups
which could be helpful.

--
Mike.