Old 06-08-2006, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default 'Woody tasting' eating apples

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]
Has anyone experience of this type of apple?

Should then be picked and stored to give them time to mature?

It seems sad to have a huge crop of shiny, sweet red apples which are
basically inedible because there is only so much blotting paper I can chew
before I start to wonder why I am doing it.

I also don't want to waste a lot of effort picking and storing them if
they are going to turn out old and woody instead of fresh and woody.

[...]

No experience of the one you describe (which doesn't sound like a
genuine Worcester), but some apples do, as you suggest, need to ripen
further in store before they're ready to eat. I did have a nameless
one, a russet, which was indeed rather woody till it had been stored:
it would be worth trying once, and if you still don't like it, you can
get rid with a clear conscience. At least one kind is best at Christmas
or after, I believe. I think these anonymous varieties we find are
often seedlings, which are rarely worth the effort.

--
Mike.