Old 06-08-2006, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Pear problem

"DavePoole Torquay" wrote in message
oups.com...
JennyC wrote:

Friends of ours have a young pear tree. It produced one pear last year
and
two this summer. The problem is that while they look 100% perfect on the
outside they are all brown and rotten inside.

There is no sign of an insect or parasite. I've googled, but not found
an answer.
Anyone have any ideas please?

It is probably a nutrient problem exacerbated by prolonged, hot dry
weather. The condition is similar to bitter pit in apples and caused
by poor calcium mobilisation within the plant. It most commonly occurs
during long periods of hot dry weather where near drought conditions
persist. Adding more calcium to the soil will not work since it is the
inability of the plant to move calcium around that causes the condition
and not a deficiency within the soil. Ensuring there is adequate soil
moisture during the formative stages of fruiting is the best
preventative measure. Heavy mulching in early spring and working in
plenty of organic material when planting help maintain soil moisture
levels if addition irrigation is impractical.

Sounds probably Dave. They are in southern france and it has been HOT down
there!
The soil is indeed poor and I don't think watering has been carried out.
I will pass on your advice.......
thanks, Jenny