Old 06-08-2006, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default OT Madeira gardens

On 6/8/06 16:15, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Finally and at last, we're going to Madeira. The general idea is to lie by
the pool, read and sip the occasional refreshment but obviously, we will be
doing the tourist thing, too. Any "absolutely do not miss this garden"
suggestions would be most welcome.

Much of the island is just one big garden stuffed with fabulous
plants, you'll love it.

Blandy's garden, (private non-group visit easy by bus or taxi, and
gives as much time as you want) and also the Jasmine "tea garden"
located on one of the levada footpaths above Funchal. (Not, the far
less interesting tea -garden above Funchal which all the tourguides
take coach parties to). I also made several visits to the fascinating
flower market (in Funchal). You can buy plants and bulbs very cheaply
there (and cutflowers boxed for flight carriage) and since Madeira
belongs to Portugal and is therefore European, import to UK is legal
and open.

Take strong walking shoes or boots; levada walks are wonderful and
their graded incline is never strenuous. The ones near towns and
villages provide close peeks into all sorts of private gardens, market
gardens etc. You sometimes find little garden stalls set out beside the
paths with plants for sale and a tin for the money.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Don't forget an afternoon tea at
Reid's Hotel.

Great info Janet and thank you so much. My 'stout walking shoes' are
Docksiders which seem to get me through most things. I love the idea of the
flower market - it sounds mouthwatering. And I'll drink a cup of tea to
your advice! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk