Old 06-08-2006, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Larry Stoter[_1_] Larry Stoter[_1_] is offline

Default OT?: Winemaking

louisxiv wrote:

Hi there

Can anyone recommend a good recipe/website/book which will help me create
wine from the elderberries, currants (blue ones from a ribes shrub) and
brambles growing in my garden?

thanks in advance

xiv

I've made wine on and off for years. Pretty much anything will work - I
worked out a long time ago that you don't want to get too bogged down in
fussy recipes. Plenty of the basic ingredients, a hydrometer is very
useful - add enough sugar until the OG is right and bung in the yeast.
Cleanliness is very important - rinse everything in sodium
metabisulphite solution. About a week in a dustbin and then into the
demijohns.

Elderberry is an excellent basis but does need to be left for 6-9 months
after bottling for the sediment to drop. Too my surprise, tinned peach
is excellent - don't add too much sugar and you end up with a nice dry
white.

Mixed summer fruits works well, too - basically, anything that is
around, boil it all up and add sugar to get the OG right.

You do need a proper wine yeast.
--
Larry Stoter